Thursday 22 December 2016

CELTA Written Assignment: Language Related Tasks Assignment

Analysis of a structure: If I’d known, I’d have baked the cake! (Type 3/3rd/Past Conditional) [Level: Upper-Intermediate]
A.      MEANING ANALYSIS
We use this conditional “to express reproach and regret”.
“We sometimes use the Type 3 conditional to make excuses.”
Reference: Parrot p. 276; Unit 19 Conditional sentences
B.      MEANING ILLUSTRATION
I’d tell students the following story:
Mary’s at home reading a book. Suddenly, somebody knocks on the door. She opens the door and sees her friend Laura.
Laura: Hello Mary, I was just passing by your house and I thought I’d pay you a visit.
Mary: Oh, please come in. If I’d known, I’d have baked a cake!
I’d show students the picture to help them visualise the context.

C.       MEANING CHECK
·         Did Mary know Laura would visit her? (no)
·         Did she bake a cake? (no)
·         Are we speculating about now or past? (past)
·         Is it a real situation or hypothetical? (hypothetical)
D.      FORM ANALYSIS
If clause
Conditional clause
If + Past Perfect (had + 3rd form),
If I had known,
If I’d known,
would + have + 3rd form

I’d (=I would) have baked a cake!
E.      PRONUNCIATION ANALYSIS
The arrows show sentence intonation:
                                       
If I’d known, I’d have baked a cake!
Words in bold show sentence stress.
Note: “have” is usually pronounced as /əv/ in this conditional,
Contraction:
I’d (I had)
I’d (I would)

Analysis of a functional language: Would you mind if I opened the window?
[Level: Upper-Intermediate]
A.      MEANING ANALYSIS
Would you mind . . . ? is often used to ask people to do things or to ask for permission.”
Reference: Swan p.331; Section 342
It’s more formal and polite than using “Can I open the window?” and shows social distance between the speakers.
Reference: https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/analysing-language
B.      MEANING ILLUSTRATION
I’d show a picture of two flatmates talking to each other. I’d display the dialogue in speech bubbles with the target language contextualised.
Mark: It’s really hot in this room. Would you mind if I opened the window?
Tom: Not at all!
C.       MEANING CHECK
·         Does Mark want to open the window? (yes)
·         Is Mark asking for Tom’s permission? (yes)
·         Is the conversation rather formal or informal? (formal)
·         Is it a polite or casual way of asking for a permission? (polite)
·         Are Mark and Tom very close friends? (no)
Checking response:
·         Does Tom allow Mark to open the window? (yes)
D.      FORM ANALYSIS
Functional chunk
Past Simple
Would you mind if I
opened the window?
changed the channel?
stayed here?
E.      PRONUNCIATION ANALYSIS
The arrows show sentence intonation:
                    ↗                                       ↗
Would you MIND if I Opened the WINdow?
Words in bold show sentence stress and capitals show the main stress.

Analysis of a lexical item: I insist on it! (phrasal verb)[Level: Upper-Intermediate]
A.      MEANING ANALYSIS
to demand something and refuse to be persuaded to accept anything else
Reference: Oxford Learner’s dictionaries
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/insist-on?q=insist+on
B.      MEANING ILLUSTRATION
I’d show the picture and role play the following dialogue with one of the students:
Paul: It’s getting late. I should go home now.
Margaret: No, no. Please stay and have dinner with us.
Paul: Oh, I don’t know I didn’t plan on dinner.
Margaret: It would make us really happy.
Paul: Mhm, I’m not sure.
Margaret: I insist on it!
Paul: OK then. I’ll stay.

C.       MEANING CHECK
·         Did Margaret really want Paul to stay and have dinner with them? (yes)
·         Did Margaret ask Paul to stay and have dinner with them or did she demand it? (demanded)
·         Was Margaret willing to accept a “no” to her invitation? (no)
·         If somebody insists on something, do you have a choice?
D.      FORM ANALYSIS
insist on something
OR
insist on verb+ing
Insist is a regular verb. It can be followed by on or upon (more formal and less common).
It’s a type B phrasal verb. “These phrasal verbs take a direct object (they are transitive) but you cannot separate the two parts of the verb.”
Reference: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/flatmates/episode33/languagepoint.shtml
E.      PRONUNCIATION ANALYSIS
I INsist on it!
Words in bold show sentence stress and capitals show the main stress.
Note: It’s an exclamatory sentence. The intonation at the beginning of the sentence is higher than in an affirmative sentence and it falls. The stressed syllable is pronounced more loudly and has stronger stress.

Analysis of a lexical item: I’m sick and tired of it! (idiom)[Level: Upper-Intermediate]
A.      MEANING ANALYSIS
to be sick and tired of sth (informal) to have experienced too much of someone or something with the result that you are annoyed
Reference: Cambridge Dictionary
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/sick-and-tired-of-someone-something?q=sick+%28and+tired%29+of+someone%2Fsomething
B.      MEANING ILLUSTRATION
I’d tell the students about my (imaginary) friend Anna, who’s lived in a big city for a long time and who hates it. I’d show this picture:

C.       MEANING CHECK
·         Is Anna happy about living in a big city? (no)
·         Is she annoyed? (yes)
·         Has she had enough of living in the city? (yes)
·         Does she want to continue living in the city? (no)
·         Is Anna sick? (no)
·         Is she tired? (no)
·         Is this a formal phrase? (no)
D.      FORM ANALYSIS
subj. + be + sick and tired of + object 
OR
subj. + be + sick and tired of + verb+ing
Sick and tired is a fixed expression and we cannot change the order of the adjectives, e.g. I’m tired and sick.
The only part of this idiom that changes it the verb be.
E.      PRONUNCIATION ANALYSIS
I’m SICK and TIRed of it!
Words in bold show sentence stress and capitals show the main stress.
Note: It’s an exclamatory sentence. The intonation at the beginning of the sentence is higher than in an affirmative sentence and it falls. The stressed syllable is pronounced more loudly and has stronger stress.
Note 2: “and” is pronounced very weakly here. We hear just /ən/.



2 comments: